Q's Quick Holy Scripture Verses

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Infant Baptism

Jn 3:5 Jesus answered: Amen, amen I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
.
Mk 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized, shall be saved: but he that believeth not shall be condemned.
.
1 Cor 15:21-22
1 Cor 15:21 For by a man came death, and by a man the resurrection of the dead.
1 Cor 15:22 And as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all shall be made alive.
.
Mk 10:13-14
Mk 10:13 And they brought to him young children, that he might touch them. And the disciples rebuked them that brought them.
Mk 10:14 Whom when Jesus saw, he was much displeased, and saith to them: Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not; for of such is the kingdom of God.
.
Lk 18:15 And they brought unto him also infants, that he might touch them. Which when the disciples saw, they rebuked them.
Lk 18:16 But Jesus, calling them together, said: Suffer children to come to me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
.
Col 2:11-12
Col 2:11 In whom also you are circumcised with circumcision not made by hand, in despoiling of the body of the flesh, but in the circumcision of Christ:
Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, in whom also you are risen again by the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him up from the dead.

Jos 24:15 But if it seem evil to you to serve the Lord, you have your choice: choose this day that which pleaseth you, whom you would rather serve, whether the gods which your fathers served in Mesopotamia, or the gods of the Amorrhites, in whose land you dwell: but as for me and my house we will serve the Lord.
.
Mt 8:5-13
Mt 8:5 And when he had entered into Capharnaum, there came to him a centurion, beseeching him,
Mt 8:6 And saying, Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy, and is grieviously tormented.
Mt 8:7 And Jesus saith to him: I will come and heal him.
Mt 8:8 And the centurion making answer, said: Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldst enter under my roof: but only say the word, and my servant shall be healed.
Mt 8:9 For I also am a man subject to authority, having under me soldiers; and I say to this, Go, and he goeth, and to another, Come, and he cometh, and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.
Mt 8:10 And Jesus hearing this, marvelled; and said to them that followed him: Amen I say to you, I have not found so great faith in Israel.
Mt 8:11 And I say to you that many shall come from the east and the west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven:
Mt 8:12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into the exterior darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Mt 8:13 And Jesus said to the centurion: Go, and as thou hast believed, so be it done to thee. And the servant was healed at the same hour.

Mt 15:21-28
Mt 15:21 And Jesus went from thence, and retired into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon.
Mt 15:22 And behold a woman of Canaan who came out of those coasts, crying out, said to him: Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David: my daughter is grieviously troubled by the devil.
Mt 15:23 Who answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying: Send her away, for she crieth after us:
Mt 15:24 And he answering, said: I was not sent but to the sheep that are lost of the house of Israel.
Mt 15:25 But she came and adored him, saying: Lord, help me.
Mt 15:26 Who answering, said: It is not good to take the bread of the children, and to cast it to the dogs.
Mt 15:27 But she said: Yea, Lord; for the whelps also eat of the crumbs that fall from the table of their masters.
Mt 15:28 Then Jesus answering, said to her: O woman, great is thy faith: be it done to thee as thou wilt: and her daughter was cured from that hour.
.
Lk 7:1-10
Lk 7:1 And when he had finished all his words in the hearing of the people, he entered into Capharnaum.
Lk 7:2 And the servant of a certain centurion, who was dear to him, being sick, was ready to die.
Lk 7:3 And when he had heard of Jesus, he sent unto him the ancients of the Jews, desiring him to come and heal his servant.
Lk 7:4 And when they came to Jesus, they besought him earnestly, saying to him: He is worthy that thou shouldest do this for him.
Lk 7:5 For he loveth our nation; and he hath built us a synagogue.
Lk 7:6 And Jesus went with them. And when he was now not far from the house, the centurion sent his friends to him, saying: Lord, trouble not thyself; for I am not worthy that thou shouldest enter under my roof.
Lk 7:7 For which cause neither did I think myself worthy to come to thee; but say the word, and my servant shall be healed.
Lk 7:8 For I also am a man subject to authority, having under me soldiers: and I say to one, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doth it.
Lk 7:9 Which Jesus hearing, marvelled: and turning about to the multitude that followed him, he said: Amen I say to you, I have not found so great faith, not even in Israel.
Lk 7:10 And they who were sent, being returned to the house, found the servant whole who had been sick.
.
Acts 16:31 But they said: Believe in the Lord Jesus, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
.
Acts 16:15 And when she was baptized, and her household, she besought us, saying: If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house, and abide there. And she constrained us.
.
Acts 16:33 And he, taking them the same hour of the night, washed their stripes, and himself was baptized, and all his house immediately.
.
1 Cor 1:16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanus; besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
.
St Hippolytus of Rome (c.215 Ad): "Baptize first the chirldren; and if they can speak for themsleve, let them do so. Otherwise, let their parents or other relatives speak f0r them." The Apostolic Tradition 21
.
Origen (post 244 Ad): "The church recieved from the apostles the tradition of giving baptism also to infants." Commentary on Romans 5,9
.


In 252 AD, the council of Carthage condemed the opinion that infants must wait until the eight day after birth to be baptized, as was the case with circumcision. St. Cyprian of Carthage, Letter 64 (59), 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home